Date:      Sun, 25 May 1997 01:40:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@r74h25.res.gatech.edu>
To:        albast@magigimmix.xs4all.nl (Jeroen)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some advice needed

[ CC trimmed to just questions]

> I have a question regarding some server setup;
> I'm planning to use the Adaptec AHA-3940UW PCI adapter in combination
> with two Quantum AtlasII QM34550ALSW 4.5 GB UW SCSI-3 harddisks.

	Sounds like a good combination.  I've got the same configuration,
just with one Atlas II.  If your firmware isn't the LXY4 revision, you'll
need to download firmware upgrades from Quantum to upgrade it to that
firmware level.  (fixes some problems with tagged command queueing)

> I'd like to know if this is an acceptable choice in your books :-)
> What mainboard/SCSI controller/SCSI drives do you recommend most?

	Yes, that's a good combination, IMO.  I have an ASUS P/I-P65UP5
with a C-P6ND cpu card, with two 256K 200MHz Pentium Pros, running the SMP
kernel.  It has 8 SIMM slots (up to 512MB RAM), and 5 PCI slots, which is
quite handy.  There are plenty of other good motherboards out there, though.

> Secondly I'm wondering what EtherExpress PRO card is being used in
> the wcarchive.cdrom.com machine, there doesn't seem to be any
> specific information exept that it's a model 100B. The intel site
> mentioned the Server adapter (with some i960 chip), the
> T4 PCI adapter and the TX PCI adapter. Which one will work best
> (full duplex) with the fxp driver?

	I believe EtherExpress Pro/100B and the Server adapter are one in
the same.

> Server setup:
> Asus P/I-P6RP7D + 200MHz PPro

	Was that motherboard ever released?  www.asus.com doesn't list it,
and I think they decided not to release it for some reason or other.

> 4 * 64MB Parity SIMMs

	Be careful with that.  Most ASUS motherboards aren't designed to
work with SIMMs that have more than 25 chips on them.  I haven't yet seen
any 64MB Parity SIMMs that had less than 36 chips on board.  I *have* seen
8-chip EDO SIMMs, but they weren't parity.  I'm sure that 64MB parity SIMMs
based on 64Mbit technology will be out before long, but I haven't yet seen
any.

> Adaptec 3940UW PCI SCSI adapter

	Good choice, IMO.

> 2 * Quantum AtlasII QM34550ALSW 4.5GB UW SCSI3 harddrives

	Also a good choice, but you'll need to upgrade the firmware if it
has LXY1 or something similar.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry