Date:      Sat, 9 Apr 2005 22:00:56 GMT
From:      Ville =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Skytt=E4?= <scop@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-www@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: www/79659: cvsweb cannot cope with %

The following reply was made to PR www/79659; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ville =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Skytt=E4?= <scop@FreeBSD.org>
To: Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc: "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>,
	FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 00:53:37 +0300

 On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 06:37 -0400, Dan Langille wrote:
 > On 8 Apr 2005 at 9:40, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
 > > On 2005.04.07 20:03:11 -0400, Dan Langille wrote:
 >
 > > We should probably test that FreshPorts can work with the new version
 > > before setting it in "production".

 IIRC, cvsweb 3.x should be backwards URI compatible with 2.x, so
 external services referring to it should not need changes.

 But upgrading the version running on www.freebsd.org should be done
 carefully as there are some new required CPAN modules, newer required
 version of Perl, and some incompatible configuration changes.
 http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/projects/cvsweb/INSTALL?rev=.

 But see also below.

 > Your investigation prompted me to check my local repository which
 > uses cvsweb-2.0.6.  cvsweb has no problem with that file.  I see that
 > FreeBSD is using FreeBSD-CVSweb 2.0.6.  It has a problem with that
 > file.
 >
 > This suggests that the problem may not be with cvsweb, but with
 > something else.  The error message:
 >
 > Bad Request
 > Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
 >
 > A grep of the repo projects/cvsweb does not find "Bad Request".  This
 > also suggests it could be something other than cvsweb that is
 > displaying this message.

 Indeed.  As far as I can tell, there's nothing wrong with the markup or
 the link generated by cvsweb in this case, so upgrading it to a newer
 version wouldn't help.

 > > I have CC'ed the cvsweb maintainer to hear if he has any comments on
 > > the impact of doing an upgrade (mainly if there are any know
 > > incompatibilities).

 See above.

 > Perhaps he knows about the above mentioned error message displayed
 > when browsing to
 > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/devel/gdb6/files/patch-
 > i386%25nm-fbsd64.h

 It's probably generated by a broken/misbehaving proxy somewhere in front
 of that cvsweb instance.  Responses from that URL contain: "X-Cache: HIT
 from localhost, MISS from www.FreeBSD.org".  Wherever the proxy server
 announcing itself proudly as "localhost" and producing a HIT is, one
 might find the problem too.  Anyway, even if it wouldn't be the guilty
 one, it could be a good idea to configure the proxy software to send a
 sane hostname...