Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2019 02:55:16 +0100
From:      Al <al@datazap.net>
To:        "freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org" <freebsd-ppc@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Problems booting from CD

Hello,

Installing FreeBSD 12 on a G3 Blue & White. First, I pulled out the
faster ATA controller and the 2 networks cards and then disconnected the
hard drive. Tried to boot from the CD. It will boot and then crash when
it is looking at it's network port. No kernel panic, no debugger. If I
hit enter instead of waiting for the delay loading the kernel, then it
will give me several errors about the file system being read only. It
seems to mount it, but then reboots. I can't completely read what is on
the screen because it happens so fast. I thought maybe it was the CD, so
I have burnt several CDs, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. It
has an RDB keyboard. I thought maybe that might be the problem, but it
is the same with it unplugged, it always gives the same results.

I  also tried to do an install on a PowerBook G3 with a G4 upgrade. This
computer has a DVD drive and it will boot OSX 10.4 and Linux from a DVD.
Still it crashes during boot up too using the FreeBSD install CD. It
crashes at a different place than the Blue & White, but always in the
same place.

I am not sure if I included enough information. I can include the exact
line when the boot stopped if needed. Also, would someone have a dmesg
from a successful boot with a G3 from a CD they would be willing to share?

I searched for a solution, but it seems no one else is having this same
issue. Does anyone have any ideas?

Kind Regards,
Al