Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 2002 18:18:01 -0500
From:      Constantine <cnst@rbcmail.ru>
To:        Marc Perisa <perisa@porsche.de>
Cc:        Derrick Ryalls <ryallsd@datasphereweb.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD gateway

Marc Perisa wrote:
> Derrick Ryalls wrote:
>
>>> Hello!
>>> I have installed FreeBSD 4.7 recently, and it seems it does not want
>>> to work as a gateway. I have two network cards in my FreeBSD
>>> computer, fxp0 for LAN and sis0 for the cable modem. I am new to
>>> FreeBSD, so I am confused what the difference between gateways and
>>> routers is (I was thinking they link to the same thing). I can ping
>>> my FreeBSD box from winxp, I can ping internet from remote session to
>>> FreeBSD, but I cannot ping internet from my winxp.
>>> My winxp has ip 192.168.0.1, netmask 255.255.255.0, and gateway
>>> 192.168.0.18 settings. Now FreeBSD /etc/rc.conf follows:
>>>
>>> gateway_enable="YES"
>>> kern_securelevel_enable="NO"
>>> nfs_reserved_port_only="YES"
>>> ifconfig_sis0="DHCP"
>>> ifconfig_fxp0="inet 192.168.0.18  netmask 255.255.255.0"
>>> #router_enable="YES" # from handbook gateway_enable="YES"
>>> firewall_enable="YES" firewall_type="OPEN" natd_enable="YES"
>>> natd_interface="sis0"
>>
>  >>natd_flags="" #/ handbook
>

>> Are your ip's reversed?  I think the gateway should have the .1 address
>> and the xp box should use the .18
>

> Nope. He set his FreeBSD box to the IP 192.168.0.18 and his Windows XP
> box to 192.168.0.1 . All is ok with that. It is only uncommon to do.
> Normally you would give the defaultgateway for a network x.y.z.1 or
> x.y.z.254 . But it is not forbidden to set it to any IP in that subnet.
>

>> Are you using the default kernel?  If so, you will need to add a couple
>> lines are recompile.
>>
>> options         IPFIREWALL              #firewall
>> options         IPDIVERT                #divert sockets
>>
>> as for the difference between a router and a gateway, a gateway is a
>> machine to deal with going from one network (lan) to another network
>> (wan), I think.
>>

>  From your point of view (as needed for this problem) routers and
> gateways are the same. In this case the FreeBSD box is acting as a
> router for your internal net to the Internet. A simple router would do
> the same. But for more complex routing you have to either setup gated
> (or similar software) or add all rules (if they are static) by hand.
> A gateway is the simplest form of a router.
>
>>> The last two lines from dmesg:
>>> IP packet filtering initialized, divert disabled, rule-based
>>> forwarding enabled, default to deny, logging disabled
>>> ip_fw_ctl: invalid command
>>

> That hints to a problem with the /etc/rc.firewall script (which is
> called when you add to /etc/rc.conf firewall_enable="YES").
>
> Please provide us with the output of "ipfw list". (You have to do that
> as root of course). I think your firewall ruleset is not tuned for a
> gateway situation.
>
> Hope that helps
>
> Marc

# ipfw show
00100    0       0 allow ip from any to any via lo0
00200    0       0 deny ip from any to 127.0.0.0/8
00300    0       0 deny ip from 127.0.0.0/8 to any
65000 8102 5158330 allow ip from any to any
65535    1      60 deny ip from any to any

I want FreeBSD to act as a simple gateway for my LAN, but for some
reason it does not want to work that way, though I have confirmed to the
installation programme that I want FreeBSD to function as a gateway.
What are the simplest steps I need to follow to make FreeBSD act as a
gateway? (I have a fresh 4.7R installation)

Thanks.

Constantine