Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 1998 20:59:29 -0600 (MDT)
From:      allen campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
To:        config@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Config Databases

> As to the other files you might screw up the formatting of, I would
> propose that rather than leave these nasty little .err files around
> (one is reminded of core dumps come back to haunt in another even more
> horrible incarnation :-) you simply log the messages to syslog.  Then
> I can use syslog.conf to more flexibly route those messages to another
> host or have them chatter on people's consoles or _whatever_ it is
> I want to do with them.

This sounds right.  Good feedback, regardless of the mechanism, is
what matters.

> But this conversation has veered off at an undesirable tangent - we
> didn't start out to discuss what kinds of comments might be left in a
> file or how one might log failures, that's really a gravy decision
> anyway, what we started off discussing was what *errors would be
> returned* by open/close/read/write on failures that were really
> "misconfiguration errors."  That's when I started arguing for simply
> returning a normal status and leave the errno setting to truly
> obvious/fatal I/O errors, not trying to hand back to vi a confusing
> errno just because a field was mis-entered.  That's the can of worms
> we've already discussed.

Extending errno became a part of this as an example of a wrong way
to handle configfs 'misconfiguration errors.'  I would never advocate
doing this.  My goal has been to find the right way.

Leave to errno what is errno's :)  Use syslog for configfs gripes.
I'm happy with that.

  Allen Campbell
  allenc@verinet.com