Date:      Sat, 10 Jul 1999 23:22:36 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu (John-Mark Gurney)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: microp 4421-07 fails on tags...

John-Mark Gurney wrote...
> Kenneth D. Merry scribbled this message on Jul 10:
> > John-Mark Gurney wrote...
> > > well, after a long time testing, the microp 4421-07:
> > > da0: <MICROP 4421-07   0329SJ 0329> Fixed Direct Access SCSI2 device
> > >
> > > has serious problems with tag queuing... the only way I was able to
> > > get this drive to work reliably was to turn of tags completely... does
> > > anyone have a drive with a different firmware that does do tags?
> > >
> > > if no one does, I'll just commit the attached patch....
> >
> > You need to be a little more specific about how the drive is broken, and
> > how you tested it.
>
> the drive will not return ccb's (the ccb's will timeout) if you have 2
> or more tags defined in the quirk structure...  I tried various levels
> of tags from the default limit and 2, 8, 16, and 32 if I remeber
> correctly...  all of those would cause a ccb to not be returned and end
> up timing out, and now that I have this entry in, I can run with the
> fs's on it no longer mounted sync (which helped prevent to many commands
> from hitting the drive)...

Hmm, sounds like buggy firmware all right.  Don't you mean "no longer
mounted _async_"?  In any case, softupdates would have had a similar
effect, and isn't dangerous to run with.

> since I didn't have the nice camcontrol ability to set tags, I had to
> build kernels to test this...

That's unfortunate.  You would have been able to do it with -current or
-stable from early May on.

> of course this still doesn't address the fact that Justin hasn't gotten
> back to me on the fact that the adv driver is broken wrt chinon cdrom
> drives...

Not surprising, I suppose.  You might want to ping him again.

Anyway, your drive sounds broken enough.  Feel free to commit the patch.
Make sure you mention the name of the drive in the commit message, and make
sure you commit it to -stable as well as -current.  I'm sure someone will
squawk if they have a 4421 that works properly with tagged queueing.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com