Date:      Tue, 2 May 1995 00:39:53 +0200
From:      se@MI.Uni-Koeln.DE (Stefan Esser)
To:        Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
Subject:   Re: NCR 53C700

On May 1, 14:08, Nate Williams wrote:
} > Does anyone know anything about these SCSI controllers. I just tried to
} > install FreeBSD on one and it didn't recognise it. Are they similar to the
} > NCR cards we currently support or is it a totally different beast.
}
} It's a totally diffferent beast.  I don't think it does bus-mastering,
} and it's a much older chipset than the newer chips.  I think it's the
} standard chipset used on many of the Amiga SCSI controllers.

No, it's not so different at all !

The 53c810 driver was written based on data books
for the 53c7xx series, until the correct manuals
arrived. The 7xx doesn't support all commands the
8xx offers, but a driver could be written to support
both of them. But that driver could not make best
use of the 8xx chips' capabilities ...

STefan