Date:      Sun, 01 Apr 2007 18:29:19 +0300
From:      Apatewna <apatewna@yahoo.gr>
To:        Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: time problems

O/H Garrett Cooper έγραψε:
> Some vendors are lame too and ship motherboards with dead batteries (or
> the voltage in them dissipates over time because of parasitic impedances
> in the area).
> -Garrett

As a field service tech, I am advising all people on the list that there
is a high probability for 2-3 year old desktop machines to have a CMOS
battery failure.

I started getting service calls on P4-2Gigs and above just a month ago
and also my AthlonXP 2600+ machine (motherboard bought in end of 2004)
had a battery failure. At one instance I had to replace a battery on a
P4-3G that had been put out of operation for a month (totally unplugged
from mains power).

Also, stop stocking CR2032 batteries from broken motherboards, they are
either already failed or nearly at end of life. Always use new spares.

--
RTFM and STFW before anything bad happens
Thanasis Rizoulis