Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2000 10:40:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        ilya@xosoft.com (Ilya Usvyatsky)
Subject:   Re: VFCF_LOOPBACK flag

> Hi ppl,
> I am implementing (actually, porting from Solaris) now some
> special-purpose stackable file system.
> This FS stacks transparently over existing sub-tree of any 'real' FS and
> provides some special
> functionality via ioctl() calls.
> Here is a question that arised to me regarding the VFCF_LOOPBACK flag.
> The comment in <sys/mount.h> states that this flag means that the FS is
> aliasing some other one.
> On the other hand, in my case no aliasing is done (since I'm mounting
> transparently and do not
> create new name space). So, should I specify the flag in VFS_SET()
> macro?

The flags should be set.

The need for the flag is the result of the fact that the vnode
object in each VFS layer will, by definition, have its own
vmobject_t, which means that the cache coherency has to be
explicit, rather than being assumed as a result of the VM and
buffer cache unification.

See the NULLFS code changes with regart to VOP_{GET|PUT}PAGES(),
since this flag doesn't really work like it's supposed to work.

Really, the upper level paging code wants to operate against the
loweset level backing object before a translation, proxy, or
other operation which means that the backing object pages aren't
laid out the same as the underlying vnode in an inferior stack.

But set it anyway, incase this is ever fixed.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.