Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 09:43:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Matthew Thyer <thyerm@camtech.net.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD CURRENT <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DEVFS not creating slice devices for my SCSI disks

Thanks for letting me know..
I can't think what problem you may be having, but it soulds as if I've
broken the 'format probes' for your disks..

how are they set up, "dangerously dedicated?"
What does /dev look liek (regarding these devices) in a working kernel.

and I presume that you end up with a 'can't mount root panic'
if so, can you look above and try see what error messages hte SLICE code
gives as a reasomn fr rejecting those disks?

you say they don't find your SCSI disks..
does it still find your root disk?
(I guess it must as you seem to be able to boot enough to look in /dev)

can you give me a copy of 'dmesg' from such a boot?

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Matthew Thyer wrote:

> At CTM src-cur 3429 my system works fine but with kernels
> of src-cur 3457 and 346? (whatever it is we're currently
> up to - about 8 hours ago) DEVFS no longer has devices for
> the slices of my SCSI disks.
>
> All I see in /dev for the SCSI disks is: /dev/sd1, /dev/sd3
> and /dev/sd4 (I have three disks wired down to their SCSI id's).
>
> These are old 1.3 and 1.8 GB disks (Seagates I think) which
> are connected to an adaptec 1542B controller.
>
> The disks in question have a single 'a' slice covering the
> whole disk and have filesystems that were created with either
> newfs -m 0 OR newfs -m 1 (I dont recall which right now).

shouldn't matter

here's what the end of MY boot looks like:

what does the same part of YOUR boot look like?

-----------------------
DEVFS: ready to run
IP packet filtering initialized, divert enabled,
rule-based forwarding enabled,

logging disabled
sd0: probing for MBR..
 part 1, start=63, size=803187
sd0s1: type 6. Leaving
 part 2, start=803250, size=1397655
 sd0s2: attaching disklabel..    .. nope
sd1: probing for MBR..
 part 1, start=63, size=2200842 sd1s1:
attaching disklabel..
 part a, start=0, size=65536
 part b, start=65536, size=131072
 part d, start=196608, size=65536
 part e, start=262144, size=65536
 part f, start=327680, size=327680
 part g, start=655360, size=1545482
sd2: probing for MBR..
part 1, start=63, size=4193995
 sd2s1: attaching disklabel..
 part b, start=4128705, size=65290
 part d, start=0, size=3678885
 part e, start=3678885, size=449820 fd0: probing for MBR..
WOULD SELECT
/sd1a but it doesn't exist /sd1s1a exists, I'll use that