Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:03:11 -0400
From:      dochawk@psu.edu
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        "David Leimbach" <dleimbac@earthlink.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intuitive interface - was RE: vi

ted tumbled,

> >From: David Leimbach [mailto:dleimbac@earthlink.net]

> My problem with this is that 99% of the folks out there yapping about making
> computers more "intuitive" what they really want is to make the computer
> look
> more like some previous computer they already learned on.  They use the
> phrase
> "intuitive interface" as a marketing term to push software interfaces that
> look
> like the same tired Windows interfaces that we have seen for the last decade
> or more.

I don't think so.  "Intuitive" suggest that it reacts in some kind of
"natural" way that relates to how people already react with the world,
and also to extensions withing the program.

The original mac interface was intuitive.  It was "close enough" to the
way a desk worked that once you understood a couple of simple metaphors
(clicking down holds something, double-clicking opens/does something),
you understood what would happen when you did something.  This has
broken down over the years as things became more complicated.  However,
you would sometimes do the right thing instinctively, particularly in
early versions of Word.

I'd actually put Word Star forth as instinctive.  I regularly
found myself using commands I'd never heard of weithout loking them up.
 Once you had the basic paradigm of the diamond and extension, the
layout of the entire program was logical.

> I put my 3 year old son in front of a PC running Windows.  He happily
> started
> pushing buttons at random.  I then put him in front of a Macintosh.  He
> pushed the
> same buttons randomly.  So much for intuition.

???  You put him in front of a flawed copy of the mac interface, and
then in front of a flawed evolution of the same interface.

hawk

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.                     /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700         \ /   against HTML mail