Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2007 16:32:44 +0100
From:      Karol Kwiatkowski <karol.kwiat@gmail.com>
To:        Jonathan Horne <freebsd@dfwlp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: started playing with jails

--------------enig9B67858751FA3461E811333B

Jonathan Horne wrote:
> i started playing with jails today, and after following and re-followin=
g the man
> page and the freebsddiary article a few times, i finally got it to work=
!  i have
> one jail that starts on startup, and actually the hump i was getting ov=
er was
> getting the jail to actually kick off the sshd daemon.  all that is wor=
king, and
> i can reboot my host, and then log into the jail that auto-starts via s=
sh.
>=20
> a couple of general questions that i cannot find the answers to:

First let me say that you may be interested in sysutils/ezjail which
takes care of creating and managing of multiple jails.

Have a look at http://erdgeist.org/arts/software/ezjail/

> 1) if i want more than one jail, what is the proper syntax in the host'=
> /etc/rc.conf file for the jail_list=3D"jailed" statement?  multiple jai=
l_list
> lines, or a single line that specifies more than one jail?

$ grep "jail_list=3D" /etc/defaults/rc.conf
jail_list=3D""            # Space separated list of names of jails

> 2) what happens to a jail when i 'shutdown -p now' on the host?  what c=
aveats do
> i need to watch for when rebooting or shutting down the host?

I use multiple jails (max 3 per host) and never had any problems with
that. I use ezjail, so jails are started/stopped by rc.d script. You may
wait for more technical answer for that, though.

> 3) i would like to build some ports in my jailed process, but for my
> environment, this requires mounting the export from my main box on my n=
etwork.=20
> so far, i am not able to mount a NFS share to /usr/ports (mount_nfs: /u=
sr/ports:
> Operation not permitted).

I'm not really experienced with NFS but how about mounting NFS share in
/usr/ports on host system and then using mount_nullfs to mount that into
jails? Just like ezjail uses mount_nullfs to mount host's /usr/ports
into jails.

HTH,

Karol

--=20
Karol Kwiatkowski   <karol.kwiat at gmail dot com>
OpenPGP 0x06E09309