Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 2003 21:05:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Matthew Emmerton <matt@compar.com>
Subject:   OpenBFS (was Re: C++ code in a kernel module?)

Hi;

Attached is a good reasons why someone my want to use C++ in the kernel.

cheers,

   Pedro.

(FWIW, OpenBFS is under an MIT license)
_________________________
http://open-beos.sourceforge.net/tms/team.php?id=2

OpenBFS, as all file systems under BeOS, is being developed as a kernel add-on.
Unlike all other file systems (and kernel add-ons in general), it is being
developed in C++. Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to use C++ in the
kernel provided you play by the book and follow some rules:

* No exceptions
* (Almost) no virtuals (well, the Query code in OpenBFS uses them)
* It's basically only the C++ syntax, and type checking
* Since one tend to encapsulate everything in classes, it has a slightly higher
memory overhead

This is acceptable as we get some benefits out of it:
* Nicer code
* Easier to maintain