Date:      Sat, 4 May 2002 17:40:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/37702: /usr/bin/top uses 100% cpu in 'system'

The following reply was made to PR bin/37702; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To: David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc: Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>,
	<freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 10:39:24 +1000 (EST)

 On Sat, 4 May 2002, David Malone wrote:

 > On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 05:50:07AM -0700, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
 > >                case 's':
 > >  -               if ((delay = atoi(optarg)) < 0)
 > >  +               if ((delay = atoi(optarg)) <= 0)
 > >                  {
 >
 > I think this has been fixed in -current in another way:
 >
 > 	if ((delay = atoi(optarg)) < 0 || (delay == 0 && getuid() != 0))
 >
 > this means you're only alowd to get continious updates if you're
 > root. (This change came from the last beta version of top which
 > was released by the original authors.)

 -current still has the bad options parsing, and a delay of 0 causes
 strange synchronization at least on syscons consoles: the
 user/nice/system/interrupt/idle percentages are usually all displayed
 as "0.0".

 Bruce