Date:      Tue, 04 Jul 2000 22:58:58 -0400
From:      "Tommy Forrest - KE4PYM" <tforrest@mcs.net>
To:        "bob@mail0.mia.bellsouth.net" <bob@mail0.mia.bellsouth.net>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "support@tecpro.com" <support@tecpro.com>
Subject:   Re: Problem connecting Windows 2000 Professional to Samba 2.0.7 share

I too get the same problem when setting up a new share.  Oddly
enough, I can connect to the default /homes share.

FBSD 4.0, Samba 2.0.7, Win NT 2k Pro.

On Tue, 4 Jul 2000 22:55:51 -0400, Charles Peters - Tech Support
wrote:

>Thanks for your speedy response Bob!
>
>I am able to see to the samba machine, otis, from my 'my network
>places' box, but I also get the same error message when I double
>click on 'otis' to try and establish or see the shares that should be
>avaliable to me.
>
>Any more suggestions?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Charles
>

>On 4 Jul 2000, at 22:29, Bob Collins wrote:
>
>> Charles Peters - Tech Support wrote:
>> >
>> > Greetings,
>> >
>> > I have a Samba 2.0.7 server running on FreeBSD 4.0 Release.  It
>> > works flawlessly, with one exception.  When I try and connect my
>> > Windows 2000 Professional workstation to a samba share,
>> > windows 2000 returns the following error message:
>> >
>> >         System Error 1240 has occured.
>> >         The account is not authorized to log in from this station.
>> >
>> > I am using the following command to connect (from a command
>> > window):
>> >
>> >         net use m: \\otis\charles
>>

>> I would think you would need an exports file that is actually
>> exporting a directory named charles from a mchine named otis.
>>

>> > This command works flawlessly from all of my win98 and win95
>> > machines.
>>
>> Those systems are not really an acid test of networking prowess and
>> exactness.
>>
>> > Below is a copy of my smb.conf file:
>> >
>> > # Samba config file created using SWAT
>> > # from UNKNOWN (0.0.0.0)
>> > # Date: 2000/06/27 00:59:46
>> >
>> > # Global parameters
>> > [global]
>> >         workgroup = workgroup
>> >         log file = /var/log/log.%m
>> >         max log size = 50
>> >         interfaces = 192.168.0.4
>> >         netbios name = otis
>> >         dns proxy = No
>> >         server string = SambaServer
>> >
>> > [homes]
>> >         comment = Home Directories
>> >         read only = No
>> >         browseable = No
>> >
>> > [printers]
>> >         comment = All Printers
>> >         path = /var/spool/samba
>> >         print ok = Yes
>> >         browseable = No
>> >
>> > [music]
>> >         browsable = Yes
>> >         comment = Music
>> >         write list = @peters
>> >         create mode = 777
>> >         directory mode = 777
>> >         writable = yes
>> >         path = /usr/sshare/music
>> >
>> > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance!
>> >
>> > Charles
>>
>> Why not set up a new "my network places" place with a browsing utlity?
>> Otherwise I would review the /etc/exports file as well as the samba
>> file for the proper 'charles'. Otherwise, you may rename the [music]
>> share to [charles]. Finally, you could use the following from the cmd
>> prompt.
>>
>> net use m: \\otis\music
>>
>> Cheers
> [...]

Tommy Forrest - KE4PYM -  tforrest@mcs.net
http://www.mcs.net/~tforrest
And now, its time, for some useless, bandwidth wasting words of wisdom:
Rehab Is for Quitters

PGP Public Key Fingerprint: E1FD 1327 D9D6 3D9A  6D5E 21CF 902D 41FC

** Tag(s) inserted by Bandit Tagger98 - http://www.gbar.dtu.dk/~c918704