Date:      Wed, 25 Dec 2002 09:24:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Adam Lofstedt <lofty_2@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can't route past gateway

I tried to send a message to the list earlier, but my
email server was down.  I checked the archives, but I
can't tell if my message has been posted already, so I
apologize if it has.  If anyone has already replied,
could you forward your response to this address?

I have a freeBSD machine with two NICS that I am using
as a NAT gateway.  No matter what I do, clients on my
LAN can't get past the gateway.  They can ping both
the interal and external interfaces of the gateway,
but can't get outside.

I am using IPF and IPNAT as loadable kernel modules.
My /etc/rc.conf looks like this:

gateway_enable="YES"
kern_securelevel_enable="NO"
linux_enable="YES"
moused_enable="YES"
nfs_reserved_port_only="YES"
sendmail_enable="YES"
sshd_enable="YES"
usbd_enable="YES"
ipfilter_enable="YES"
ipfilter_program="/sbin/ipf"
ipfilter_rules="/etc/ipf.rules"
ipfilter_flags=""
ipnat_enable="YES"
ipnat_program="/sbin/ipnat"
ipnat_rules="/etc/ipnat.rules"
ipnat_flags=""
ifconfig_dc0="inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"
ifconfig_xl0="DHCP"
inetd_enable="NO"
hostname="forcefield.mydomain.com"

ipf -V gives this:
ipf: IP Filter: v3.4.29 (336)
Kernel: IP Flter v3.4.29
Running: yes
Log Flags: 0 = none set
Default: pass all, Logging available
Active list:0

Here is dmesg showing ipfilter stuff:
IP Filter: v3.4.29 initialized.  Default = pass all,
Logging = enabled

(it also says some things at boot, like "IPFilter
module loaded", and other things about ipnat getting
flushed and loaded, but I don't know how to get dmesg
to show me exactly what it says at boot time).

My /etc/ipf.rules file has just this for testing:
pass in all
pass out all

My ipnat.rules file has this:
map 192.168.1.0/24 -> 0/32 portmap tcp/udp 10000:65000
map 192.168.1.0/24 -> 0/32

In this configuration, my outside interface is getting
its info via dhcp from my cable provider.  I also
tried this similar configuration at my work, using
same internal addressing scheme, but using a fixed IP
for the ext. interface with no luck.  I just can't get
past the outside interface of my gateway.  What am I
leaving out?  And this is not a DNS issue, as I am
pinging only by ip.  Do I need to add static routes or
something?

I've googled for hours and hours already... :(

Thanks for your help,

Adam Lofstedt