Date:      Sun, 02 Jul 2000 14:34:44 -0400
From:      Generic Player <generic@unitedtamers.com>
To:        "James A. Mutter" <jmutter@colltech.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do you people listen to mp3s?

> Have you considered that this might be a configuration problem?  I've
> been playing MP3's on FreeBSD for almost as long as I can
> remember.
>
>  * What type of system are you running?
>  * What are you using for a sound card/driver?
>  * Which MP3 players have you tried?
>  * Are you accessing the MP3's from a local system or NFS?
>  * Did it work with 3.X?
>
> A little more information might be helpful.
>
> -
> Jim

Yes I have, that's why I asked what programs other people use.  I have a
k-6 300 with 128 MB of RAM, and a AWE 64 sound card using the device pcm
driver.  The Mp3s are on my local disk, and I have never used 3.x, I am
new to freebsd.  I have tried xmms, mp3blaster, mp3123, kmp3, x11amp and
xamp.  They all skipped terribly whenver I did anything in any other
program, especially going to a new website in netscape.  I can get kmp3
to stop skipping by setting its buffer settings to max, but as I said,
it randomly crashes and won't start again without a reboot.

Generic Player