Date:      Sun, 2 May 1999 23:02:49 +0100 (BST)
From:      "Ben J. Cohen" <bjc23@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Telnet idle timeouts

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999 Danny wrote

> Does anyone know how to get rid of the idle timeouts when a user is
> telnetted in?  I often telnet into my box from work, and sit idle for a
> while.  I'll come back only to see "Connection closed due to inactivity."
> I've looked through the telnetd man pages, and through practically every
> file in /etc for it, but no luck.
>
> Any ideas?  FYI, I'm using 2.2.7

I would also like to stop telnet giving idle timeouts, but I don't have
access to the (Solaris) box which I am telnetting to.

Is there any way to instruct or "adjust" telnet (or rsh/rlogin) to somehow
keep the connection alive (by sending a CR or something every so often if
necessary, like one Win telnet program I know of), or is there another
program which can do this?

Thanks,

Ben.