Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2023 10:34:59 +0700
From:      Olivier <Olivier.Nicole@cs.ait.ac.th>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   tap interface forcing a permanent ARP association

Hi,

I have an OpenVPN server running on FreeBSD (13.2-p5). I have included
the following in /etc/rc.conf:

cloned_interfaces="tap0 bridge0"
ifconfig_bridge0="addm vmx0 addm tap0"
ifconfig_tap0="UP"
openvpn_enable="YES"

And it works fine, except that ip maps the MAC address of tap0 to the IP
of my web server (on another machine), and the mapping is "permament":

www.cs.ait.ac.th (10.41.170.42) at aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff on tap0 permanent [ethernet]

That has two adverse effects:
- any VPN client cannot access my web server as they would get a wrong
MAC address;
- the VPN server will sometime reply to an ARP request on my LAN,
providing an obviously wrong answer.

Poking around, I found out that it was due to the "ifconfig_tap0=UP"
line. Further more, that line is not needed for OpenVPN to start
properly; so I have disabled it.

But I would like to understand why turning up the tap interface causes
it to update the ARP table.

Best regards,

Olivier