Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2000 10:49:55 +0000
From:      Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Need help with PPP urgently!

Hi,

I've just set up a ppp connection to a local ISP here in th UK, but am
having trouble getting it to dial-on demand.  I'm trying to use the:-

ppp -auto ISP

to dial up on demand (starting this on boot), but it refuses to connect due
to it moaning about not having a static IP.  My ISP only supports dynamic
IP's specified by them only, but the

set ifaddr 0 0

option doesn't work with the -auto option.  I've read the ppp man pages,
the FreeBSD handbook, The Complete FreeBSD and a pile of stuff off the net
but haven't got anywhere.  Can someone expand on this command, because I've
read it needs more options (ie address/netmask/trigger etc).  I've seen the
setup that looks like this but it doesn't work:-

set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0

My network setup is basically just 3.3-RELEASE running on an old Compaq
trash-can (IP=10.0.0.2), with several Win98 boxes off it (10.0.0.6-15).
This is running on 10-baseT ethernet.  What else do I need to do to attach
these to the ISP transparently.  I hear the -nat option is required but how
does it work?  I've got a caching-dns set up on the compaq which the
windows boxes connect to with the correct entries for naming all the
workstations but PPP won't go up!!!  Basically just need PPP to dial out on
all addresses but 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.255

Also, what services DO NOT work over this?

Thanks

Chris Smith
Raytheon Systems Limited UK