Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:37:27 -0700
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        bmiddaug@sdf.lonestar.org
Subject:   Re: What is the proper shutdown procedure?

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:24:15 -0700 (PDT)
Dave McCammon <davemac11@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- "Bob M." <bmiddaugNOSPAM@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everybody,
> > I was wondering what process to follow when shutting
> > down.  Do you umount
> > all the disks first?  If so, any particular order?
> > would you do umount -A
> > and does this cover / also?  Would you stop services
> > before or after or
> > not at all, does the o/s stop them for you?  Do you
> > use *exit*?  Can I
> > just hit the power button? :-)  Thanks,
> > Bob
>
> shutdown -h now
> The -h is for halt and the now is the time
>
> check out man shutdown

Or, if you are the only user of this machine, you can just type `halt`
to shutdown.  From man 8 halt:
"The halt and reboot utilities flush the file system cache to disk, send
all running processes a SIGTERM (and subsequently a SIGKILL) and,
respectively, halt or restart the system ... Normally, the shutdown(8)
utility is used when the system needs to be halted or restarted, giving
users advance warning of their impending doom ..."