Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 17:26:59 -0600
From:      "Bob Giesen" <BobGiesen@earthlink.net>
To:        "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>, "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Linksys LNE10TX v4.1, FreeBSD v3.2

----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>
To: "Bob Giesen" <BobGiesen@earthlink.net>; "freebsd-questions"
<freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2002 4:33 PM

> On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 17:26:53 -0600, Bob Giesen wrote:
>
> >Thanks for the quick reponse.  I didn't see the dc option in my "Complete
> >FreeBSD" book, so I didn't think to try that.  Is that available in 3.2?
> >I'll give it a try in a little while.
>
> according to: http://www.freebsd.org/releases/3.2R/notes.html
>
> Lite-On 82c168/82c169 PNIC fast ethernet NICs including the following:
>   LinkSys EtherFast LNE100TX
>   NetGear FA310-TX Rev. D1
>   Matrox FastNIC 10/100
>
> how well it works could be another question; although it'll probably
> work fine.
>
> i would suggest downloading/buying/cvsup'ng 4.5-RELEASE when it becomes
> available, since it has _many_ security fixes and new features.
>
> ---
> doug reynolds | the maverick | mav@wastegate.net
>
> PGP Public Key Fingerprint: 6E7B 9993 B503 6D45  E33A 2019 26E5 C1DB

   The support for the LNE100TX in 3.2 was for an earlier version of the
card.  (It used, I believe, the de or the pn driver.)  I've learned that
there have been at least eight incarnations of this card (through version
5), with at least four different chips (82c168 PNIC, 82c169 PNIC, 82c115
PNIC II, ADMtek AN985 Centaur) have been used in these cards.  I have v4.1
with the AN985, which doesn't seem to be recognized by either the de or pn
driver.  I found an article by Bill Paul (who writes many of these drivers)
that led me to try a newer driver, al, which shipped with a newer release.
It recognized my card, but not its ethernet address.  I can ping myself, but
no other machines...
   I had hoped to find a quick fix to get this working, but it looks like
I'll have to do the upgrade.  Thanks for the heads-up on the R4.5 fixes; I
think I'll take heed your advice on watching for that.
- Bob