Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2018 13:51:43 -0800
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        zbeeble@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: isc-dhcpd refuses access?

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 12:38 PM Zaphod Beeblebrox <zbeeble@gmail.com>
wrote:

> So... my home router has a trunked relationship to the home switch.
>
> BGE0.31 is the guest network and has 172.17.31.1/24.
>
> BGE0.221 is the home network and has 192.168.221.1/24.
>
> Now on the switch, the "access" (untagged) VLAN is 1.  This works: BGE0 is
> 192.168.110.1 and the switch's management is 192.168.110.253.
>
> Recently, I've been playing with a new switch, and only wants to talk on
> vlan1.  I can see it's DHCP requests on the untagged port, so I modified my
> isc-dhcpd configuration to include a subnet and range for 192.168.110.0/24
> .
>
> Oddly, however, when restarted, dhcpd says it is listening on bge0.31 and
> bge0.221, but ignores bge0.  Help?

While FreeBSD is generally better than most at supporting hybrid interfaces
(tagged and untagged vlans on the same NIC), you really shouldn't do that.
Configure it either as an access port (untagged vlan only) or a trunk port
(tagged vlans only).

Simplest solution is to make vlan 1 tagged as well on the port that
connects to the FreeBSD box, move the IP setup to bge0.1 instead of bge0,
and configure dhcpd to listen on bge0.1 as well as the others.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com