Date:      03 May 1999 00:42:42 +0200
From:      Eric Jacoboni <jaco@titine.fr.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   How to change the / partition ?

Hi,

I'm afraid i've made a _big_ mistake today :

My previous running 3.1-STABLE config :

/dev/wd0s1a was /mnt/dos
/dev/wd0s2a was /
/dev/wd0s2b was the swap partition
/dev/wd0s3e was /usr/src
/dev/wd1s4 was /usr/local

Yes, i know : "when ain't broken, don't fix it!" but my / partition
was 97% used so i decided to destroy the dos partition in order to use
it as /usr/home...

So, i've used /stand/systinstall, delete the wd0s1a partition and
recreate it with UFS type.

In order to verify all was ok before moving my old /home data to
wd0s1a, i first reboot my machine... But, no way to boot again :(

To try to fix the problem, i've run an install process to install a
minimal system on /dev/wd0s1a and i've verified the others partitions
are still there... What i want to do now is to fix the pb in order to
boot from /dev/wd0s2a, as before...

BTW : i use LILO as boot loader and my /etc/lilo.conf

boot=/dev/hda
install=/boot/boot.b
append = "mem=96M"
map=/boot/map
vga=normal
delay=20
prompt
image=/vmlinuz
     label=linux
     root=/dev/hdb1
     read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.34
     label=oldlinux
     root=/dev/hdb1
     read-only
other=/dev/hda2
     label=bsd
     table=/dev/hda

I've rerun /sbin/lilo from my Linux system in order to update the MBR
with the new partition scheme, but it doesn't change anything...

So my question : what file(s) are to be changed in order to boot
kernel from /dev/wd0s2a ? what program to use to fix it ?

I promise as soon my config runs again to learn by heart the BSD
slices configuration ;-)

I don't know if that helps, but before my mistake, i was able to
access the BSD partition with this Linux fstab entry :

/dev/hda5     /mnt/bsd		ufs	ufstype=44bsd  0  0

Now, it's impossible : i don't _really_ understand why this manip on
/dev/wd0s1a has done such a mess...

Here the Linux's fdisk output :

Disk /dev/hda: 64 heads, 63 sectors, 621 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 4032 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot   Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *        1      150   302368+  a5  BSD/386
/dev/hda2   *      311      621   626976   a5  BSD/386
/dev/hda3   *      151      310   322560   a5  BSD/386

Thanks for your help,