Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 1995 22:18:42 -0600
From:      Jon Loeliger <jdl@chrome.onramp.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: *MORE* FS problems, please fix!

Apparently, Terry Lambert scribbled:

> Well, if I can't get patches committed, the least I can do is
> complain about problems and hope someone else can get their possibly
> identical patches committed instead.

> Whoever reimplements this change (my patches aren't "good enough")
> should note that it will be about as large in scope as the patches
> I already submitted for FS layering.  This means that you probably
> don't stand a chance of success unless you have commit priveledges.

Wait.  I don't get it.  I've been using FreeBSD for a solid year.
I've been watching this list for just under a year.  I've personally
noted that almost everything Terry has said has had some kernel of
truth to it even if he had to argue his point *again* and *again*.
And maybe some of it was tainted with personal agenda occasionally,
but we all do that to a certain extent.

Nevertheless, I'm quite at a loss to understand why either:

    1) He feels his patches are "good enough", or

    2) His patches *aren't* good enough.

I confess to being a bit out of sorts on the technical aspects
of File Systems.  I know FS code to the level presented in, say,
the XINU book.  All I can see is that he consistently has a good
grasp on the technical issues here.

I further don't understand, or know enough history to know why
certain other members of the FreeBSD team feel he shouldn't be
given commit privs.  I don't need to know; their reasons are
probably sound -- if there was a "conflict of interest" reason,
that's pretty sound.  But I don't know why he's having problems
getting patches or code accepted for general use.

Am I missing something fundamental?  I don't think should piss
Terry off and have him leave the FreeBSD project in a huff.  It
just wouldn't be right.  So where are the negative vibes coming
from, Moriarty?

jdl