Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2001 22:03:40 -0700
From:      Dionysos <dionysos@dionysos.yi.org>
To:        "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>
Cc:        Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Buildworld failure using two disks

On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 10:23:06PM -0500, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
> On Saturday, January 27, 2001 21:28:24 +0100, Gerhard Sittig
> <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net> wrote:
> +-----
> | I'm not willing to follow you here.  AFAIK symlinks only contain
> | a *name* in their origin and neither do they care where they
> | point to nor what type the destination is of nor if the
> +--->8
>
> ....but they cannot be created *on* msdos filesystems because the filesystem
> doesn't know about them.  Which, if I've been following this correctly, is
> what was happening.

You would definitely be following correctly.  Granted I didn't do any kind of
scientific analysis of this to be sure that this was exactly what was tripping
me up, but it makes a bit more sense that one can't write symbolic links
across differently formatted file systems.

One thing that crossed my mind was how far this carries.  Can you symlink
between an ext2fs and ufs filesystem, or do they have to be matching types in
order for a symlink to be created?

James