Date:      Tue, 7 Sep 1999 23:01:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Generating STABLE "Patches"

I have a system on which I will be running FreeBSD that is not, and
never will be, connected to the Internet. I will install off of the
Walnut Creek 3.2-RELEASE CDs, but I would like to incorporate bug
fixes, security patches, and the other updates that get added to
STABLE on a regular basis.

Now, The Powers That Be are very wary about using things downloaded
from the Internet. They balk at the idea of basically replacing the
_whole_ OS in one swoop if we CVSup STABLE as a whole and build from a
new source tree.

What I am trying to do is figure out how best to keep this machine
fairly up-to-date with STABLE when there is a sneakernet connection
somewhere between it and cvsup*.freebsd.org. Also keep in mind
that a wholesale replacement of the sourcetree each time is not an
option.

I basically have three ideas at this point,

1) Generate STABLE "patch sets." A machine that is on the Internet
   will contain two source trees. One will be the latest CVSup; the
   other will be a mirror of the "isolated" machine's sources. I can
   diff the two trees to generate a patch set that will bring the
   isolated machine up to STABLE. After the patch is in place, the new
   CVSup becomes the mirror of the isolated machine for the next
   CVSup.

   This solution has advantages, the isolated system will be
   exposed to the minimum number of changes and the changes are
   clearly recorded in the patch set. In addition, this is the
   solution that requires sneakernetting the least volume of media
   (my guess is the patches can practically fit on floppies).

2) Run both cvsup and cvsupd on the isolated system. Mirror the CVS
   distribution of FreeBSD. Transfer the entire CVS tree to the
   isolated system where it will run CVSup as a client to itself.

   This has some drawbacks. I need to transport the whole CVS source
   tree each time and figure out how to run cvsupd.

3) Figure out what the heck CTM is. I don't know if I have ever heard
   anyone on mailling lists talk about it. However, it sounds like it
   would be basically doing most of the work in idea (1) for me.

Does anyone out there do anything like this? Anyone have some ideas
about the best way to get something like this done?

Thanks for any help.