Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 1999 08:47:05 -0500
From:      "Chuck O'Donnell" <cao@bus.net>
To:        Eugene Grosbein <eugen@svzserv.kemerovo.su>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.3-STABLE & aout

On Mon, Dec 20, 1999 at 01:42:53PM +0700, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> Hello!
>
> How do I make aout binary on -STABLE?
> I installed compat20, compat21 and compat22, then tried
> # cc -aout -o hello hello.c
> (it's "Hello world"-program :)
>
> I get 'ld: crt0.o: no such file or directory' error message.
> It seems there is no crt0.o file at all.

The compat distributions only install the dynamic libraries for you.
You also need the static libs to compile aout. You can either grab
these from a running 2.2.x system, or untar the lib distribution from
a 2.2.8 CD into /usr/lib/compat/aout. The lib dist is
`/cdrom/bin/bin.??' (on a 2.2.8 cdrom anyway). It's one big tar file
broken into smaller chunks, so you have to cat it together before
untarring it. Try something like:

  cat /cdrom/bin/bin.?? | tar xzpf - -C /tmp 'usr/lib/*'
  for lib in `find /tmp/usr/lib -type f`; do
      if ! test -f /usr/lib/compat/aout/`basename $lib`; then
          cp -p $lib /usr/lib/compat/aout/
      fi
  done
  rm -rf /tmp/usr

You may need to rerun ldconfig at this point, but I could be
mistaken. If you can afford it, a reboot isn't a bad idea, as the rc
files call ldconfig for you at boot time with the correct paths.

good luck.

chuck

p.s. i think freebsd-questions may be a better forum for these types
     of questions