Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 1998 20:57:39 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@mcs.net>
Cc:        sthaug@nethelp.no, andreas@klemm.gtn.com, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how long does it take to low level format a 9 GB Baraccuda ?

Karl Denninger writes:

> As a matter of good practice, its probably a good idea to turn on a new
> drive in its working orientation, allow the temperature to stabilize, and
> then low-level format it.

"As a matter of good practice" is it advisable to low level format a
new SCSI drive at all? The only time I low level format a drive is as a
last resort before crating it up and sending it back. But am leaning
against even that. Last year we got a batch of (50) ST15150's. About 4
were problems and got low level formatted before being put into
production use. Those lasted about 5 months.

Can't really credit that stinky quality to Seagate as a stinky
purchasing process resulted in drives that were handled too many times
by the unknowing before finally being delivered into my caring hands.
It was so bad we sent back a number of Kinsgton DE100 enclosures
because they arrived bent. With HD's installed. And cables pinched. And
termination still enabled on the HD (with 2 installed per box).