Date:      Wed, 15 Jun 2011 13:21:44 -0700
From:      Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Why user time of the process depends on machine load?

When I test performance of the code, I always observe dependency of CPU
user time on the presence of other CPU intense processes.
Same CPU-only deterministic process that on the quiet machine completes
in 220 user seconds in the presence of, for example, kde rebuild would
complete in 261, 266 or even 379 user seconds.
I am talking about times shown by time(1), not actual an execution time.
It's the same time as getrusage(2) returns in ru_utime field.

Why time that process takes in user seconds depends on what other
processes are running?

FreeBSD-8.2 STABLE on i7 CPU @ 9200 @ 2.67GHz.

Yuri