Date:      Sat, 17 Nov 2012 00:28:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@pdx.rh.CN85.ChatUSA.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mips@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: heads up - changing uart -> uart_ar71xx

Im having some confusion factor here .. perhaps its just caused by the wording
that is being used.

Why is there gona be something called ``uart_ar71xx''?   As far as I know
there is a uart in the ar71xx, yes, but it isnt a uart specific to the ar71xx
family at all.
> On Nov 16, 2012, at 10:35 AM, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>
> > This should be cleaned up better than that, what -kind- of uart is it?
> > There should be things called
> > 	uart_8250 (should be able to drive everything from 8250 to 16950)
> > 	uart_8530 (this is probalby the second most common uart in the world)
> > 	uart_6850 (we would probably never see one of these)
> > 	etc...
> >
> > Please do not lock this to a specific Mips chip if at all possible
>
> uart already services a dozen of other UARTs. It isn't tied to MIPS at all.
Thats what I thought.

> All Adrian seems to be doing is making what was automatic configuration a
> little more manual.

I question the choice of labels to trigger that then....

> Warner
>
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I've started digging into AR933x support and I've discovered that the
> >> UART is not an NS8250 style thing.
> >>
> >> So I'm going to shuffle the ar71xx uart code around to require both

What code is specific only to the ar71xx and has anything to do with a uart?