Date:      Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:20:18 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on i386 memory model

Ollivier Robert wrote:
> According to Robert Nordier:
> > It is really just intended as a curiosity, and is neither very
> > idiomatic nor very correct. :-)
>
> I found a few years back a complete manual for the AT&T assembler syntax
> somewhere on the 'Net. I must have deleted it and am now unable to find it
> again.
>
> Anyone with a pointer to it ?

Hope I didn't imply "not very correct" in any mundane syntactic
sense. :)

The transformations between Intel and AT&T syntax can really be
expressed in about a dozen rules, and there are sed and awk scripts
around that do a fairly reasonable job of automatic translation.

The Intel 80386 manual is available from various places (except
Intel) in text format, so it shouldn't be too difficult to do an
AT&T-flavored manual, if anyone thought this worth the bother.

I've never found GNU assembler syntax to correspond terribly
closely to that of the AT&T assemblers I've used, though.

--
Robert Nordier