Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 17:51:40 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        cjclark@home.com, Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Jay Nelson <noslenj@swbell.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Guns and freedom [Was: Re: On "intelligent people" and "dangers to BSD"]

At 1:53 AM -0500 2000/3/26, Crist J. Clark wrote:

>  Well, right there we see a problem with how the media focuses on the
>  extremes. Police officers have been shot by legal and illegal guns as
>  long as their have been guns and police. You bring this up like it
>  happens all of the time, and it does not.

	I have an interesting little tidbit of information told to me by
a friend and former police officer.

	The #1 killer of police is their own weapon -- they get it taken
away from them and used against them.  For obvious reasons, police
departments don't want this statistic to get out.

	This also happens to be the #1 killer of people with firearms at
home -- the intruder takes the weapon away and kills them with it.

	If we taught people (including our police) how to properly use
their weapons, this problem would go away.

	You can forget every single other aspect of this argument --
until you can solve the problem of people who own firearms knowing
enough about them and their proper handling to prevent them from
being taken away and used against them, you're never going to get
much progress.