Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 16:05:40 +0100
From:      Terje Elde <terje@thinksec.no>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Daniel Hagan <dhagan@colltech.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: iButton Development

--R6sEYoIZpp9JErk7

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 03:59:29PM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> My share in this is mostly the monitoring gadgets with the 1wire
> products, but given working software I would probably put my pgp
> key somewhere more safe as well.

I do see your concern, and I would not automatically trust the iButtons 100%,
but it's a good hardware building block to base things on.  If you store a
encrypted version of your pgp/ssh keys on it, then you would really need to
break the algorithm to gain access to the keys, in which case you can attack
pgp in itself anyways. (simplified; if you break the symmetric cipher which
has encrypted the keys stored on the iButton then you've got the keys, while
if you had broken the same symmetric cipher in pgp itself, the keys would be
safe as soon as you switch to another algorithm, and you would have to perform
one such crack for each message).

Or rather, in the end how things are set up and used is really up to the end
user.  My goal is to try to help provide the tools to make the technology
available, and also the guidance to balance the risks.  What makes a good
choice is highly dependent on a lot of factors, and what's right for you isn't
always right for everyone else.  If my access was limited to a single shared
win95 box, then I'd feel much more comfortable with a iButton performing the
crypto for me, and keeping the keys, than storing them on the windows box.

Terje "delta" Elde
ThinkSec AS

--R6sEYoIZpp9JErk7

--R6sEYoIZpp9JErk7--