Date:      Sun, 03 Dec 2006 22:52:32 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BootCache for FreeBSD

Vishal Patil wrote:
> Is anyone working on the idea of implementing BootCache for FreeBSD? MacOS
> has this idea implemented
> http://www.osxbook.com/book/bonus/misc/optimizations and I was wondering if
> FreeBSD had such an implementation. I think it would be especially usefull
> for laptops and desktops with slow drives that run FreeBSD.

It would be easy to do as a GEOM class, but for real-life usage it would
have to be directly in GEOM.

Actually, I've done the logging part twice before, but it's not
convenient to stop the geoms to insert a logging class in front of them.
PJD has talked for some time about making a sort-of "hot-pluggable"
mechanism in GEOM in which classes could be inserted in between two
other classes without stopping them, but this will take time...

There's another consideration: Apple can do it because OSX is shipped
"as-is" and doesn't change much when you install it, but FreeBSD is
always customized after installing. This doesn't prevent the mechanism
to be implemented, but it would require it to be very easy to use.