Date:      Sun, 3 Mar 2002 16:18:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Cc:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Roudier?= <groudier@free.fr>, <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SCSI driver problem: 'sym' fails, 'ahc' works.

On Sun, 3 Mar 2002, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> Its not really clear to me why one driver works and the other does not.
> Both should be flagging the overrun as an error.  Perhaps in 3.4, the
> ahc driver was broken in this regard?  Does a more recent ahc driver
> still work?

I've not yet tried the drives with a recent version of 'ahc'.  The
hardware is kinda buried in a rack right now.

If I had to guess at the difference I'd say that this bit of code from
sym_hipd.c is the reason for the difference:

static void sym_sir_bad_scsi_status(hcb_p np, int num, ccb_p cp)
{
        /*
         *  Now deal with the SCSI status.
         */
        switch(s_status) {
        case S_TERMINATED:
        case S_CHECK_COND:
                /*
                 *  If we get an SCSI error when requesting sense, give up.
                 */
                if (h_flags & HF_SENSE) {
			sym_complete_error (np, cp);
			break;
		}

I'm mostly guessing at this point though.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |