Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 13:15:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <danm@prime.gushi.org>
To:        roman <roman@devnulltech.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Securing SU

On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, roman wrote:

> > I was wondering if there was a way to configure su so that it would
> > disallow a user access if they're telnetted in.  (but, say, allow them if
> > they have sshed in).

> what about sudo?
>
> better than su, because you get to control who gets to do what as root.

Oh, I have four people who have root, and need it.  My web guy, my cgi
guy, myself and my assistant...All of us need full root, and all are
trusted (in fact one is a cousin and one is a fiancee).

At the same time, we provide shells, so leaving telnet open to all is
necessary.

I just need to enforce the "don't use telnet if you're gonna SU, you
bonehead" rule.

I guess this could best be done with even a shell script, where the script
looks at what terminal it's running on, and sees if telnetd is talking on
that port.  If it is, it rejects root.  Of course, one can override this
by running screen (which uses multiple ptys)...Anyone have a cleaner
answer?

-Dan

--

"Long live little fat girls!"

-Recent Taco Bell Ad Slogan, Literally Translated.  (Viva Gorditas)