Date:      Sun, 5 May 1996 23:57:27 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        rnordier@iafrica.com, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dosfsck anyone?

On Sun, 6 May 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > A preen option is a Good Thing.  'fsck' itself has code to parse
> > /etc/fstab, skipping non-ufs filesystems.  One solution would be
> > to incorporate equivalent code in 'dosfsck'.  Possibly a more
>
> The one thing that scares me about this whole scenario is having DOS
> filesystems suddenly get checked when they weren't even looked at
> before, perhaps then to run into a bug which causes DOSFS corruption
> and some very unhappy user(s) who never even expected FreeBSD to take
> such liberties with their DOS partitions.

I agree we don't want to spotlight the behavior of the existing
DOSFS unnecessarily.  My idea was more to release 'fsck_msdos' in
advance of the rewritten msdosfs, since it will later facilitate
using and testing that.  (Rather grapple with a beta msdosfs using
a debugged fsck_msdos.)

> I think it should still be an option to enable this particular
> behavior! :-)

By default no preening should occur, unless users specifically
amend their /etc/fstab.  Currently the 'fs_passno' field (sixth
field) has a value of '0', which tells fsck that the filesystem
doesn't need checking.  Eg:

/dev/wd0s1                      /dos            msdos   ro 0 0
							     ^
--
Robert Nordier