Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 2002 11:57:27 +0100 (CET)
From:      Soeren Schmidt <sos@spider.deepcore.dk>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: burncd/cdcontrol

It seems Nate Lawson wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Oct 2002, Soeren Schmidt wrote:
> > Hmm, it is true that I could use ATAPI command directly in burncd, and
> > I actually have a version in the lab that is ~75% converted to that,
>
> I'd love to see that once you're ready to release.

I'm not sure it will ever be, but the ongoing DVD stuff might bring
it to that...

> > but that is not the only issue here. The ATAPI cd driver has quite a
> > bit of functionality that the SCSI cd driver hasn't, fx the ability
> > to read all kinds of CD's no matter what the block size, the ablity
> > to read individual tracks, and supporting ATAPI changer devices just
> > to mention a few :)
>
> We need to fixup cd(4) then.

Right, problem is that some of this will need serious changes to the
CAM system as far as I've been told during the last years...

> > Besides for some of us that uses small systems without SCSI in them,
> > saving the +100k of compiled code for the CAM overhead is important.
> >
> > Oh, and besides the SCSI/CAM cd driver didn't exist when I did the
> > first version of the ATAPI cd driver, that was the old SCSI system
> > back then...
>
> That's surprising to me since the man page claimed CAM cd(4) (not
> scd) appeared in 3.0R while acd(4) appeared in 4.0R.  I guess you mean the
> predecessor to acd (was it wcd)?

I did an atapi-cd.c that fitted into the old wd based system to
support ATAPI burners back when there was a common ioctl interface
to do that. CAM did away with the compatiblity so the ATA world was
left to use the ioctl interface alone.

To ram a nail through all the crap about the ATAPI drivers being
reinventions, here is the deal:

When I set out to write the current ATA driver, all I had was the
ATAPI cd and tape drivers, those are just evolvements of what I
had written for the old wd based driver.
Now the real job was to get the ATA part and the lowlevel ATAPI
code done, and to that purpose having existing and working
ATAPI drivers was a huge winn. Back then CAM was just barely in
the tree yet, so that was not really an option to use.

-Søren