Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 2008 12:43:38 -0500
From:      "Brandon Valentine" <brandon@brandonvalentine.com>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   gmirror partitions not mounting on boot

Hi folks, I've got a vexing problem with gmirror I haven't seen
before.  So far my mailing list searches have not turned up a similar
problem.  I'm hoping it's something simple I've overlooked, but so far
no luck.

I followed the gmirror setup instructions from this howto to the
letter, going so far as to paste the sample code into shell scripts
and substituting in the names of my disks (ad4 and ad6):
http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/mirror/

I'm on 7.0-RELEASE-p5 as installed fresh from CD and updated via
freebsd-update.  Using the default kernel and userland, no custom
modifications or recompiles.

On boot the boot stops after:

Oct 30 17:19:12 champ GEOM_MIRROR: Device mirror/gm0 launched (2/2).
Oct 30 17:19:12 champ Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/mirror/gm0a

The machine enters single-user mode with only the root partition
mounted.  A simple "mount -a ; exit' will mount all the drives and
send it into multiuser mode.  It will not mount them automatically.

I have geom_mirror_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf and here's my fstab:

# Device		Mountpoint	FStype	Options		Dump	Pass#
/dev/mirror/gm0b		none		swap	sw		0	0
/dev/mirror/gm0a		/		ufs	rw		1	1
/dev/mirror/gm0g		/home		ufs	rw		2	2
/dev/mirror/gm0e		/tmp		ufs	rw		2	2
/dev/mirror/gm0f		/usr		ufs	rw		2	2
/dev/mirror/gm0d		/var		ufs	rw		2	2
/dev/acd0		/cdrom		cd9660	ro,noauto	0	0

Once I execute "mount -a ; exit" in single-user mode gmirror shows the
mirror status correctly:

champ# gmirror status
      Name    Status  Components
mirror/gm0  COMPLETE  ad4s1