Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 01:44:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Tommy=20Hallgren?= <thallgren@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Benchmark oddities

Hi!

I'm reading http://www-scf.usc.edu/~akhavans/Linux_vs_FreeBSD.pdf and have a
couple of questions I hope someone here could answer.

1. Section 4.3 and 4.4 is about syscall overhead context switch time.

"Figure 2 indicates that the FreeBSD context switch increases linearly with the

number of processes, suggesting that the FreeBSD scheduler must search an O
(number of processes) data structure during a context switch. Our results show
that Linux responds with extreme speed to system calls, and it scales well as
the number of processes increases. Paper [4] reports the reverse of these
phenomena, which is puzzling since newer versions of the OS should not
perform worse than prior versions in such an important function."

(Paper [4] is about Windows NT filesystems, maybe he meant the old Stanford
paper?)

First, the benchmark does a lot of getpid()'s, I don't have to source of glibc
handy, but I've heard that glibc caches the pid, meaning that this benchmark is
probably bogus since it doesn't measure syscall time on one of the systems. Is
that correct?

Second, I've repeatedly read in the various FreeBSD mailing-lists that the
complexity of FreeBSD's scheduler is a lot better than O(n). Am I missing
something here?

2. In section 4.5("Process creation(Fork, Exec)") he quotes a Linux manpage
that claims that FreeBSD copies the entire data section when fork() is called.
Sounds like rubbish to me. I thought that all modern OS's used copy-on-write
when forking. I'm fairly sure the quote is wrong.

The author wants to benchmark out-of-the-box systems, a rather silly thing to
do IMHO, and he neglects to turn of SoftUpdates, raise the maximum number of
filehandles etc etc.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Tommy
PS.
Please cc me since I'm not on this list.
DS.

=====
Tommy Hallgren
Work: tommy@frontpartner.com