Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2007 17:01:31 -0200
From:      Patrick Tracanelli <eksffa@freebsdbrasil.com.br>
To:        kurtseel <kurtseel@primetime.com>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gmirror + ggated question

kurtseel escreveu:

> I built a mirror of a local drive and a ggated backed device. I ran
> iozone on it
> and it runs along fine until a certain point when it slows down to a
> near stand
> still. It doesn't break the mirror or crash the system, but it does slow
> the system
> down to a near stop.
> I kill the iozone, and a short time later I can login and then :
>
> # df
> Filesystem            1K-blocks    Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/mirror/thinkcs1a   1012974  155780   776158    17%    /
> devfs                         1       1        0   100%    /dev
> /dev/mirror/thinkcs1e  85469448 1163474 77468420     1%    /usr
> /dev/mirror/thinkcs1d   4058062   40426  3692992     1%    /var
> [root@ ~/temp]# gmirror status
>         Name    Status  Components
> mirror/thinkc  COMPLETE  ad0
>                         ggate0
>
> And all seems normal again. Seems like it has to do with big files ...
> This is the same configuration I used in :
> http://bsdtips.utcorp.net/mediawiki/index.php/Mirroring_over_network
> This is where the iozone gets stuck :

Did you try raising send and receive buffers on ggated? I found myself
confortable with -S and -R around 512k-780k. I didnt, however, did an
iozone stress test, just a production test (real load) before going
production.

Try raising the buffer and let us know about your tests. TCP_NODELAY is
also worth trying.

--
Patrick Tracanelli

FreeBSD Brasil LTDA.