Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2017 15:01:59 +0100
From:      Vincenzo Maffione <v.maffione@gmail.com>
To:        Harry Schmalzbauer <freebsd@omnilan.de>
Cc:        freebsd-net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [panic] netmap(4) and if_lagg(4)

> Bez=C3=BCglich Vincenzo Maffione's Nachricht vom 17.03.2017 22:28 (localt=
ime):
> > Two things here:
> >
> > - We pushed an important fix to stable/11 1-2 months ago, that prevents
> > panic on emulated netmap mode. Maybe you are still getting that panic
> > because you are using an older stable/11 image, you should check.
> > - If you are using "software devices" like if_lagg or even vlan
> > interfaces, netmap and VALE won't help you a lot, because the drivers
> > are not patched for netmap (and cannot be)
>
> Thank you for your explanation.  I'm aware of loosing most advantages,
> but it gives me the possibility to use different MTUs with one
> switch/bridge.
>

> I'll try to provide more info about the panic this week.  Like discussed
> offlist, the panic happend on a machine with the mentioned fix (latest
> stable).
> Perhaps this panic can be fixed, especialy for the vlan children.

Ok, so if you create a vlan on an interface, and use netmap over the vlan,
you get a deterministic crash? Does the crash happen when you start
transmitting, receiving or both?

> Otoh., I guess it's NIC (igb) related and em/igb overhaul will hit
> stable/11 eventually.  And afaik, theres no native netmap support
> anymore :-(

So probably resources are better spent on that instead of fixing a panic
> which doesn't seem to affect anyone else than me.

There is an overhaul in progress, yes, but netmap support is going to be
restored.

> Thanks,
>
> -harry

--=20