Date:      Tue, 3 Apr 2001 15:49:01 -0700
From:      Michael O'Henly <michael@tenzo.com>
To:        kde-user@lists.netcentral.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Running KDE 2.1 under FreeBSD 4.2

Hi...

I've installed FreeBSD 4.2 and I'm trying to get KDE 2.1 up and running.

In /usr/ports/x11/kde2 I see a Makefile that refers to an early version of
KDE2 (which would have been current around the time 4.2 was released).

So I went to http://www.freebsd.org/ports and downloaded the "KDE 2.1"
Makefile and replaced the old "KDE 2.0" Makefile with it. I guessed (perhaps
incorrectly?) that as a "meta-port" this new Makefile would grab all the
appropriate components of 2.1 and build them accordingly.

Instead, what I seem to have wound up with is (at least partly) the early
"2.0 pre". Among other things, Konqueror doesn't launch and I have to
Alt-Ctrl-Bksp to exit from KDE.

So...my questions are:

1. What should I be doing to build KDE 2.1 correctly?

2. Is there yet a port for KDE 2.1.1? (Is one likely to be posted?)

3. I understand there is a way to refresh the ports collection after you've
installed. Is the reason I've built a "2.0 pre" version because I only
changed the top-level KDE2 Makefile in an otherwise stock 4.2 ports
collection?

4. Building KDE 2.0 pre took about 14 hours on a PIII 500Mhz system. Is that
typical?

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

M.

--