Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 13:14:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Larry Tai <larry@wald.ucdavis.edu>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Screen corruption installing 4.5 on 164LX

Hi,

     I took an older AlphaPC 164LX that used to run RedHat/NT and tried to
install FreeBSD 4.5 on it.  The system used to boot up into AlphaBIOS.  I
downloaded the lx164srm.rom and upgraded the firmware to run SRM instead.
The firmware upgrade went fine without any problems.  All the SRM commands
seem to work okay.

     I then tried to do the FreeBSD install by booting from the CD that
had the 4.5 ISO on it.  The usual messages that come up during an install
all came up okay, displaying what the system has and ... until it got to
the screen where it would normally display a rectangular box saying
"probing hardware ...".  The box displayed okay, but not the text within
it.  The text displayed was "EEEEEEEEEEEEFFEEEEEEEE".  Hitting the <Enter>
key at this point took me to what normally would be the sysinstall screen.
Again, at this point, the box gets displayed fine.  But the options and
selections are displayed as strings of "EEEEE ..." and some other random
characters.  And so I'm stuck.

     However, I have tried the following to narrow the problem down:

1.   I've read the CD on three other systems (RedHat i386, FreeBSD i386
     and an AlphaServer DS10).  The CD read fine in all cases.

2.   Tried faking the install on the DS10 all the way up to the sysinstall
     screen and everything worked.

3.   The system has a Matrox Mellenium Pro on it.  I swapped it out for a
     Diamond Stealth S220.  The same problem occurred at the sysinstall
     screen with screen corruption.

4.   I didn't think the monitor was the problem.  But I swapped in a Sony
     200ES just in case.

     The system specs are as follows:

       System Type:        AlphaPC 164LX
               CPU:        DecAlpha 21164, Rev 7.2
             Speed:        533Mhz
             Video:        Matrox Mellenium Pro, PCI
               NIC:        Dec 21140
             CDROM:        Toshiba XM-6202B
                HD:        2 Quantum FireBall ST6.4A
               RAM:        128MB
               SRM:        V5.6-3 Dec 28, 1999
          SROM Rev:        V3.1.2

       D/U PALCode:        V 1.23-2
   OpenVMS PALCode:        V 1.21-2

     Does anybody have any suggestions?  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

     Thanks in advance.

---------
 US-Mail:  Larry Tai
           Department of Statistics
           368 Kerr Hall
           University of California, Davis
           One Shields Avenue
           Davis, CA 95616
  E-Mail:  larry@wald.ucdavis.edu or lptai@ucdavis.edu
     Tel:  (530)-752-6085         FAX:  (530)-752-7099