Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2001 10:57:41 -0500
From:      Normand Leclerc <nospam@ele.etsmtl.ca>
To:        obrien@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940UW booting problems

> > >>>show config
> >                         Quanta, Atom server;

  See my reply to Andrew Gallatin for this...

> > Alpha 21164PC-2
>
> What kind of Alpha is this?  You mentioned it was a PC164SX, right?
> I don't remember this being the same output as the one I had.
>
> > MEMORY
> > 128 MBytes of system memory
> > Bank #       Size     Base Addr
> > ------    ----------  ---------
> >   0         128 MB    000000000
>
> Especially as my 164SX mobo had to have DIMMs in pairs

  They are in pair.  Banks are two dimms wide...

> > Bcache Size = 1 MB
>
> Nor did it have 1MB cache.

  Hmmm, maybe you had the 2MB version then?  There are two versions I
beleive...

> > PCI Bus
> >      Bus 00  Slot 06: Adaptec AIC-7880
> >                                    pka0.7.0.6.0          SCSI Bus ID 7
>
> What ever type of Alpha this is, _keep_it_! :-)
> Sweet that it can boot from an Adaptec.

  Sweet when I can boot.  My problem still persist.  The bus gets reset
twice and sometimes 3 times at the first initialization.  When this
happens, scsi polling fails and I can only see pka0.7 ...  I really must
know why...

Normand Leclerc
lecn1306@ele.etsmtl.ca