Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 12:32:33 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Garhan Attebury <firebug@eoni.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel.conf (contains di commands for devices that don't exist)

Garhan Attebury wrote:

> I'm a new FreeBSD user (RELEASE 4.0) and I just built a custom kernel for
> the first time this morning.  I removed various devices which I didn't need,
> compiled it, and booted with it.  As far as the actual kernel build goes,
> everything went fine.  However, I noticed that there were a lot of the
> following errors when I rebooted...
>
> config> di sio1
> Invalid command or syntax. Type '?' for help.
>
> This happened for all the devices I took out of the kernel [...snip...]

That's the current state of affairs. Not nice, but it causes no harm (other than
a few lines per reboot in the log files)

> What created kernel.conf in the first place?

The kernel configuration utility, as you assumed.

> I was thinking that the Kernel Configuration Utility (the visual mode
> interface) was what created/modified
> it, but when I tried saving the configuration from the utility, kernel.conf
> didn't change.

Unfortunately, the kernel configurator is not yet smart enough to remove disble
lines for devices no longer in the kernel.

> Also, if there isn't anything that creates/modifies kernel.conf, is there
> anything wrong with what I did (set userconfig_script_load="NO") or removing
> all the "di [device] entries from kernel.conf?  Thanks for any help on this
> in advance.

You did it right -- remove the unneccessary di xxx-lines manually, or disable
the script completely. Disabling the script completely may cause problems later
when you have to change parts, such as a faulty ethernet card.

HTH
-Christoph Sold