Date:      Fri, 15 Apr 2011 19:06:40 -0500
From:      Daniel Mayfield <dan@3geeks.org>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: question on extended attributes

On Apr 15, 2011, at 7:01 PM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 05:01:58PM -0500, Daniel Mayfield wrote:
>> I'm trying to use rsync and rsnapshot to make backup copies of my Mac =
to my freebsd 8.2 server .  When I specify syncing extended attributes =
as well, I get an error for any file on the Mac that has a resource =
fork:=20
>>=20
>> rsync: rsync_xal_set: =
lsetxattr("Documents/<foo>","com.apple.ResourceFork") failed: No space =
left on device (28)
>>=20
>> I'd love to work on fixing this, but I'm seeing a bunch of references =
to UFS1 vs UFS2 in the extended attribute readme.  But I'm not sure what =
I'm actually using (I took the default when it setup, which says =
ufs2+softdep, but mount simply says ufs).
>>=20
>> Can someone help point me in the right direction?
>=20
> Sorry if this sounds harsh or rude, but can I ask you what exactly
> extended filesystem attributes (usually ACLs) have to do with file
> resource forks on OS X?  AFAIK they have nothing to do with one =
another.

OS X stores resource forks (and a few other things) as extended =
attributes on HFS+ filesystems these days.  Or at least that's how it =
presents the HFS+ concept of a resource fork to unix programs like rsync =
that understand extended attributes.

> Also, you're aware of how Apple solved the resource fork problem when
> archiving something in a .zip file, right?  The "_MACOSX" directory
> within the .zip.

This is sub optimal as I'd like to be able to inspect/modify the "data =
fork" of the file on the freebsd box too.   For example, editing files =
while I'm ssh'd into the freebsd machine remotely, but still preserving =
the icon when it gets copied back.  If I were to do as you described, I =
may as well setup netatalk and build a time machine style backup device. =
 That isn't my goal.

daniel