Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 1999 13:55:07 +0100 (CET)
From:      Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   streaming mp3s....

Well, I havent been succesfull with the "Real Media" G2 alpha for linux,
dont know which files are missing, but this streaming should be, as far as
mp3 is concerned, also be possible with mpg123. No question, it works
without anything, just plain mpg123, very good.

mpg123 http://www.rz.uni-frankfurt.de/~recktenw/vertigo/roi24.mp3 is ok
with a 56k modem.

But this is not the same if I put this into netscape. the .mailcap looks
now more or less like Ollis, well I dont know which secrets were inside
his shell scripts ;-), how he makes m3us work etc, voila:

[snipp] mpg123 %s.

This "%s" has the effect, that Netscape loads the file first onto the hd,
before playing, it plays some local temp file, not the remote one.

Is there any alternative to "%s", that gives mpg123 the remote file, aka
URL ??

Hope it was clear enough, the list is maybe a better place to ask than the
newsgroup,

Heiko