Date:      Thu, 21 Aug 1997 12:02:26 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@wup.de>
To:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quiet SCSI disk?

On Thu, Aug 21, 1997 at 07:18:11PM +1000, Stephen McKay wrote:
> On Wednesday, 20th August 1997, Andreas Klemm wrote:
>
> [about the 4GB DCAS 34330W]
>
> >Do you know how many tags it uses (tagged command queuing) ?
> >It was a bit disappointing for me, that the IBM DORS 32160 2.1GB
> >only offers 3 and the the famous QUEUE_FULL condistion ...
>
> I run mine off a Diamond FirePort 40 (uses the 53c875J chip).  When I run
> ncrcontrol, it tells me it is using 4 tags.  I don't know if I can use
> more.  I remember reading somewhere that Stefan thinks 4 is a good number.
> I can't remember his reasoning, or where I read it. :-/

AHC driver uses normally 8 tags.
Or 4 if card doesn't have much SCM space.
And reduces the number of opennings to x, if a queue full race
condition occurs, where x = 3 using the IBM DORS... which is nearly
the same as running without tagged queuing ;-)

                if ((inq_data->flags & SID_CmdQue)
                 && !(ahc->tagenable & mask)) {
                        printf("%s: target %d Tagged Queuing Device\n",
                                ahc_name(ahc), xs->sc_link->target);
                        ahc->tagenable |= mask;
                        if (ahc->scb_data->maxhscbs >= 16
                         || (ahc->flags & AHC_PAGESCBS)) {
                                /* Default to 8 tags */
                                xs->sc_link->opennings += 6;
                        } else {
                                /*
                                 * Default to 4 tags on whimpy
                                 * cards that don't have much SCB
                                 * space and can't page.  This prevents
                                 * a single device from hogging all
                                 * slots.  We should really have a better
                                 * way of providing fairness.
                                 */
                                xs->sc_link->opennings += 2;
                        }

--
Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH	phone:	+49 2173 3964 161
Support Unix - Andreas Klemm		fax:	+49 2173 3964 222